Westchester’s Zika Virus Prevention Plan; Stewart-Cousins Named to Women’s Hall of Fame
Here’s what’s happening?Today in the 914,?according to Westchester Woman:
1.) Westchester County is taking the following steps to make sure residents are protected from any potential threat associated with the Zika virus or other mosquito-borne diseases:
- Giving residents free minnows that can eat mosquito larvae in their backyard ponds and water features
- Applying larvacide to catch basins on county and municipal roads, already covering half the county
- Doubling the number of mosquito trap sites and adding a new type of trap to attract the mosquitoes that could transmit Zika
- Targeting limited areas for ground spraying should a locally acquired case be confirmed or nearby mosquitoes test positive for Zika
The Westchester County Health Department is offering the following tips to prevent mosquito bites:
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents when outdoors, and follow the label instructions
- Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeve shirts, long pants and socks
- Dont sleep with your windows open, unless the windows have screens in good condition
- Prevent mosquito breeding sites around your home by eliminating areas that can collect water
- Make sure things like old tire, watering cans or trash cans are dumped and scrubbed
- Clear your gutters and make sure your screens don’t have holes in them.
You can get free larvacide tablets by calling?1-888-364-4723.?You can check out the?Keep Healthy and Bug Off brochure and visit?health.westchestergov.com?for more information.
2.) New York State Senator and Senate Democratic Leader?Andrea Stewart-Cousins was?inducted into the Westchester Women’s Hall of Fame on May 6 ?at the Westchester Marriott in Tarrytown.
The Womens Research and Education Fund (WREF), a non-profit organization that promotes equality and justice for women in Westchester, has given the prestigious award to women like Hillary Clinton, Rep. Nita Lowey, Westchester County Board of Legislators Chairwoman Lois Bronz, Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore, Mae Carpenter of Westchester Countys Department of Senior Programs and Services and the late actress Ruby Dee.
The award is given at the?In the Company of Women event held by the YWCA White Plains and Central Westchester and the WREF.
- (Daily Voice)?Time Warner, Cablevision Employees Brace For Layoffs After Takeovers
- (News 12 Westchester)?Hawthone Cedar Knolls employee blames cuts for troubles
- (Emma Westchester)?STAR WARS AND THE POWER OF COSTUME THE EXHIBITION