Here’s what’s happening today, Feb. 8 in the 914, according to Westchester Woman:
1.) Gov. Andrew Cuomo has?taken executive actions, which don’t require the consent of the Legislature, to help ensure that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth won’t be forced to undergo conversion therapy in New York.
Those who believe in conversion therapy think that being LGBT is a mental illness that can be cured through therapy. It has been denounced?as a dangerous and damaging practice?by various health organizations, such as: the American Academy of Pediatrics; the American Counseling Association and the American Psychiatric Association.
Cuomo called Conversion Therapy a “hateful and fundamentally flawed” practice.
Under the actions, private and public health insurance providers and Medicaid will no longer be allowed to offer coverage for conversion therapy for individuals under the age of 18. New York State Office of Mental Health facilities are also prohibited from providing conversion therapy for those under the age of 18. Read more here.
2.) Just in time for those Valentine’s Day engagements, it’s?Westchester/Hudson Valley Weddings Magazines annual Unveiled event.?This bridal expo is on Sunday, Feb. 21 ?at the Surf Club on the Sound in New Rochelle, and features bridal fashion, brunch samplings, cakes, desserts and the area’s renowned wedding professionals. Click below for details.
3.) Radioactive water from Indian Point was found to have seeped into the groundwater at the facility. Indian Point, which is owned by Entergy, says that the contaminated water hasn’t spread beyond their site and that the leak does not pose a public health risk. Read more on News 12 Westchester.
4.) Today’s headlines:
- (LoHud)?Lawmakers seek to change property-tax cap
- (Fios1)?White Plains Revelers Come Out for Football and Fun on Super Bowl Sunday
- (Westchester Magazine)?Snowstorm Bolsters Debut Of YardHub Web Platform
- (LoHud)?World interfaith week celebrated in White Plains
- (Daily Voice)?How Are You Celebrating The Chinese New Year
- (Westchester Magazine)?Cat Urine Scent Perplexes Croton Residents
- (Fios1)?Greenburgh Police: Woman Attempted to Lure Girl, 9, Into Car by Promising the Child Puppies