Hi, All ❤️ Here are some links that I pulled together that I thought folks might find useful. This is not a complete list and some links might not be relevant as time goes on. Please excuse any errors (I’ll try to go through and edit once I get the chance) and make sure you double-check the sites before you donate. – D
Here you’ll find info/resources for NY, CT, NJ on:
- Coronavirus Updates/Info by State Government
- Income Security Info
- Public Assistance Information
- More Information on Unemployment, Sick Leave, Eviction
- Where to Get Food/Toilet Paper Assistance and Where To Donate
- Where to Get Free Internet/ Learning Resources For Home Schooled Children
- Where to Get Free Arts and Entertainment Online
- How to Stay Calm/Connected
- How to Help
One of the best ways to stay updated on coronavirus information, resources, and help is to check in with your state and local elected officials. Check out their websites, sign up for their newsletters, and/or follow them on social media.
Coronavirus Updates/Info by State Government
- New York – https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home
- Connecticut – ct.gov/coronavirus
- New Jersey – https://www.nj.gov/
Income Security Info
- New York Labor Department/Unemployment – https://www.labor.ny.gov/home/
- Connecticut Labor Department/Unemployment – http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/
- New Jersey Labor Department/Unemployment – https://www.nj.gov/labor/
- U.S. Small Business Administration Small Business Coronavirus Guidance and Loan Resource: https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources
- Relief for Renters and Homeowners in NY – https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/how-homeowners-and-renters-are-getting-financial-help-during-the-covid-19-crisis/2334709/
- Report Price Gouging in New York – https://ag.ny.gov/price-gouging
- Report Price Gouging in Connecticut – https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Press-Releases/2020-Press-Releases/Attorney-General-Tong-Provides-Update-on-Coronavirus-Price-Gouging-Complaints
- Report Price Gouging in New Jersey – https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/2020/03/13/coronavirus-nj-state-warns-against-price-gouging/5031295002/
Public Assistance Information
- New York Social Services – https://www.ny.gov/services/social-programs
- Connecticut Social Services – https://portal.ct.gov/DSS/Common-Elements/How-to-Apply-for-Services/How-to-Apply-for-Services
- New Jersey Social Services – https://www.nj.gov/humanservices/clients/welfare/
- United Way – Contact your local United Way for information on help with rent, bills, and food OR donate them to help others get these resources) – https://www.unitedway.org/
More Information on Unemployment, Sick Leave, Eviction
- COVID-19: New York Halts Evictions Indefinitely: https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nassau/real-estate/covid-19-new-york-halts-evictions-indefinitely/785135/
- New York Paid Leave Bill – How It Helps Coronavirus Affected Workers: https://patch.com/new-york/massapequa/new-york-paid-leave-bill-what-it-means-during-coronavirus
- NJDOL Benefits and the Coronavirus (COVID-19): What Employees Should Know: https://www.nj.gov/labor/worker-protections/earnedsick/covid.shtml
- New York Temporarily Suspends State Debt Collection: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-and-attorney-general-james-temporarily-suspend-state-debt-collection-response
- How NYC Restaurant Workers Are Getting Help So Far: https://ny.eater.com/2020/3/13/21179235/labor-sick-leave-coronavirus-testing-nyc-restaurants
- Check With Utilities, Car Insurance Companies, Credit Card Companies, and Other Companies You Pay Bills To – Many companies are promising not to cancel services and work with customers on payments. Check-in with them and see what help they can offer you.
Where to Get Food/Toilet Paper Assistance and Where To Donate (If your children usually receive free meals from school please check your school districts for websites to learn how you can continue receiving their meals, you can also check your local elected officials for more info on this)
- School Lunch Sites For Rockland County, NY – https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/2020/03/17/coronavirus-ny-rockland-where-school-breakfasts-lunches-being-provided/5066693002/
- Find a Local Food Bank or Pantry – https://hungerandhealth.feedingamerica.org/get-involved/find-food-bank-pantry/
- New Haven Pride Center Has Toilet Paper – https://www.facebook.com/NewHavenPrideCenter/photos/a.474709639277680/2846192605462693/?type=3&theater
- Donate, Volunteer, or Receive Meals on Wheels – https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/find-meals, https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/take-action/covid-19-response
- Want to help feed kids who depend on school meals? Here are ways to give – https://www.today.com/parents/donate-kids-left-hungry-school-coronavirus-closures-t176066
- Feeding Westchester – https://feedingwestchester.org/coronavirus-response/
- No Kid Hungry – https://www.nokidhungry.org/coronavirus
Learning Resources For Home Schooled Children
- How to Homeschool During Coronavirus Crisis: https://www.today.com/parents/how-homeschool-during-coronavirus-crisis-t176020
- Local Teachers Helping With Homeschooling – Lots of teachers are offering assistance to parents trying to homeschool their children. Check with your school’s website and your teachers on social media
- Where to Get Free Internet (Turn your Wi-Fi on and see if the hotspot comes up): https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-internet-providers-free-wifi-20200315-6k7pzukriffdfcic5odfizmnri-story.html
- Spectrum Offering Free Internet, Waiving Installation Fees: https://www.wxii12.com/article/spectrum-to-offer-students-free-internet-amid-coronavirus-school-closures/31668603#
- Scholastic Learn at Home: https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html
View this post on Instagram
Teachers & Parents: Are you looking for virtual learning tools? 🏠 Scholastic has you covered with FREE engaging online resources and activities from #ScholasticLearnAtHome. Click the link in bio to get started! ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ [Thanks to 📸 : @yearlingandbloom, @coco_chasing_adventures, @echo2736, @danieeebaby, @letsonlearners, and @behallbe] ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ #homeschooling #covid19 #coronavirus #teaching #teacherresources #learnathome #homeschooled
- Free Books From Birds, LLC: https://www.facebook.com/birdsllc/posts/10159659675527293
- Codeverse Virtual – Get a 50 min. online coding learning session for free. Includes 1×1 expert guidance, access to Codeverse’s coding platform from home, ability to text their completed game to family & friends – https://www.codeverse.com/virtual/
Free Arts and Entertainment (Be sure to check out your local arts organization‘s website and social media accounts, as well as your local libraries and entertainment venues):
- ArtsWestchester – https://artswestchester.org/, You can find lots of free streaming links from ArtsWestchester here: https://www.facebook.com/ArtsWestchester/
- Milford Arts Council – https://www.facebook.com/MilfordArtsCouncil/
- Metropolitan Opera to Stream Free Operas – https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/coronavirus-the-metropolitan-opera-to-stream-free-operas.html
- White Plains Public Library – https://whiteplainslibrary.org/
- Watch Phil-o-Thon, Free Broadcasts of Phil Lesh’s Performances at The Capitol Theater – https://www.facebook.com/TheCapitolTheatre/videos/232985674504987/
These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch – https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/museums-galleries/museums-with-virtual-tours
- Your Favorite Comedians – Lots of your favorite comedians are also putting out extra content to keep you smiling. Check out their websites and social media pages.
How to Stay Calm
- Managing Stress and Anxiety Over Coronavirus – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- YouTube has a wealth of free meditation and stretching videos, as well as lots of music and comedic content
- Simple acts of self-care to deal with coronavirus anxieties – https://www.phillyvoice.com/self-care-simple-things-to-do-coronavirus-pandemic-anxiety/
How to Stay Connected
- Local Facebook Groups – Search your zip code in Facebook and see if there are any local Facebook groups you can join to stay connected with your neighbors
- Organizations and Social Groups – Check out the social media pages for organizations and social groups that you normally participate in or always wanted to. Lots of these groups are finding ways to connect online
- Call Your Family and Friends – See if you can get them all together on a video chat – https://www.skype.com/en/features/group-video-chat/
- Have a Virtual Netflix Viewing Party – https://www.netflixparty.com/
- Check on a Neighbor Who Might Need Help
How to Help
- Support Local Businesses – Check out their websites to buy gift cards, tickets, and merch. Lots of restaurants are also offering curbside pick up and/or no contact deliveries through sites like UberEats and DoorDash.
View this post on Instagram
Join us as we launch DOUGH 4 DOUGH, our quest to Feed & Serve our local communities affected by this shit-storm that is COVID-19. Our mission is to provide a safe way to supply as many local hospitality industry workers, families, school children and organizations in need with as much love, PIZZA and healthy vegetablas we possibly can. Please help us work towards this mission. Our goal is to DONATE 150 pizzas per day (750+ per week)! Can’t stop won’t stop!!! HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP: Donate at least one $13 pizza with your takeout order. For every pizza donated, we will donate another, doubling the number of pizzas donated per day! PLEASE HELP US REACH OUR GOAL!!! CURBSIDE pick-up and delivery starts tomorrow at 4pm with a daily menu including WOOD-FIRED PIZZA, VEGGIES, SALADS and pre-batched cocktails, beer and wine. You can begin placing orders at 2pm tomorrow by calling the restaurant: (914) 478-8200. No-Contact Pick up and Delivery All donated pizzas will be baked & distributed the following day. Hospitality workers can pick-up curbside between 4pm – 6pm and we will deliver any time to any organization in need! Thank you for your support!!!
- Support Local Workers – There are going to be local workers who aren’t eligible for unemployment or other benefits. Lots of employers are trying to help the employees they had to let go of by setting up GoFundMe or other fundraisers. Check the websites of your favorite local haunts and if there is any way you can help.
Here’s one for the to help the staff of Polpettina in Eastchester/Larchmont:
Yesterday, with a very heavy heart, our ownership team was forced to close one of our two locations and lay off 90% of our staff due to the effects of this virus that is ravaging our industry, our community and the entire world.
- Support Worker Organizations – Are you concerned about workers in a specific industry? Check to see if that industry has an organization that supporters workers. Some of them are creating relief funds like:
Domestic Workers Coronavirus Care Fund: https://domesticworkers.org/coronavirus-care-fund
Restaurant Workers COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund – https://secure.restaurantworkerscf.org/np/clients/restaurantworkerscf/donation.jsp?campaign=2&forwardedFromSecureDomain=1&test=true
- Support Local Artists – Artists are people who enliven our spirits, especially during times like this. Many artists, such as musicians and comedians, aren’t able to perform and make a livelihood. These individuals might not be eligible for unemployment since they are self-employed. Check out their websites and social media pages, stream/watch/buy their content, join their Patreons, and support them in any other way you can.
View this post on Instagram
If you’re a fan of my comedy and a fan of my podcast, you need to support me and my crew at Patreon.com/RobertKelly! You’ll love Live From The Shed, @jimnorton @wilfredburr @iamcolinquinn @keithrobinson438 @garygulman @rich.vos and more of my friends are on there! @arishaffir and @acumia coming next month! Sign up at a Patreon.Com/RobertKelly for these and thousands of hours of @ykwdudepodcast
- Donate to Food Banks – See links above for how/where you can donate to food banks
- Donate Blood – There are blood shortages and donations are needed. Check with local donate sites for details.
- Support Your Local Animal Rescue – There are some reports that adoptable animals might be at risk of euthanization because of the coronavirus crisis. Check-in with your local animal shelter/rescue to see if they need any help.
Other Places/Local Employees To Donate To: