Here’s what’s happening today, Feb. 2 in the 914, according to Westchester Woman:
1.)?The Yonkers City School District is looking to undergo a massive overhaul of its facilities, and are asking New York State legislators to help foot the $2 billion bill for revamping 39 buildings over 13 years. The Journal News reports that only two of the district’s schools were considered to be in “satisfactory condition” in 2010.
Here’s a video from the City:
You can read The Journal News’ full coverage of this story here. The Rebuild Yonkers Schools has also created a?website at?www.rebuildyonkersschools.com and social media platforms:?www.facebook.com/rebuildyonkersschools and?www.twitter.com/rebuildyonkersschools?where you can sign a petition in support of the effort.
2.) This month Westchester Broadway Theater will celebrate female friendships and the life of American Country/Pop Singer Patsy Cline, who is credited with paving the way for women headlining acts in her country music.
“Always Patsy Cline” is on stage from Feb. 4 through 28 and is based on Cline’s friendship with a Houston fan named Louise Segar. Cline, who was the first female solo artist inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame, became friends with Segar at a Texas honky-tonk in 1961. The play details their friendship through letters, visits, stories and heartache shared by a housewife and country music star.
Get tickets and details on the show?here.
3.) Today’s headlines:
- (LoHud)White Plains Council to Vote on FASNY Tonight
- (Daily Voice)?Public Housing Renovator In Yonkers Getting Over $1 Million In Tax Breaks
- (LoHud)?SUNY Defends Salaries Amid Cuomo Criticism
- (Daily Voice)?Book Your Singing Valentine Now With Westchester Chordsmen Chorus
- (LoHud)?Con Ed Seeks Gas and Electric Rate Hikes
- (Daily Voice)?Teenage Boy Dies After Jumping In Front Of Metro-North Train
- (Westchester Magazine)?5 Westchester Groupon Food Deals You Should Use Right Now