Here’s what’s happening today, Feb. 4 in the 914, according to Westchester Woman:
1.) Former president of the LOFT LGBT Community Center Dr. Zelle W. Andrews has passed away, leaving her friends and family to reflect on the legacy of activism that she left behind.
“It is with a very heavy heart that we report the news of the passing of Dr. Zelle W. Andrews on February 2, 2016. Dr. Andrews was a former president of The LOFT, and a very dear friend,” the LOFT’s Facebook page read. “Our condolences to her partner Deborah Zipf and to her entire family. We have all lost a very special woman, and a staunch advocate of human and civil rights. A memorial service is being planned, and we will post the information when we receive it.”
Here she is on an episode of Forward & Out speaking with co-president Lester Goldstein discussing the LOFT’s efforts to increase women’s participation at the LOFT by creating gender balance within their leadership structures.
“Every effort is made to bring lesbians and gays together on common goals,” said Andrews.
2.) Just in time to tide you over before all the St. Patrick’s Day bashes, White Plains’ Big Brew NY Beer Festival is this on Saturday, Feb. 6 at the Westchester County Center. Enjoy beers from your favorite local breweries and amazing food pairings. Click below for details:
3.) Today’s headlines:
- (White Plains Daily Voice) White Plains Hosts Annual Interreligious Prayer Service For Peace
- (Westchester Magazine) Rail Crossing Safety Measures Promoted Since Valhalla Train Crash
- (White Plains Daily Voice) Skaters From White Plains Help Shadows Win Silver Medal At Sectionals
- (Westchester Magazine) Where, How, And When To Order Super Bowl Chicken Wings
- (LoHud) Bernie Supporters to Display LED Sign at 287 Overpass
- (LoHud) Report: Tax Cap Leaves Little Room for Schools