(This piece has not been updated since it was written so make sure you call ahead to confirm hours of operation and crop availability)
We know New York has got apples covered – but did you know that you can pick peaches, cherries and grapes in and around Westchester? Well you can, and the summer fruit season is still in full swing!
Here’s our list of local places where you can pick your own peaches and summer fruit, before it’s time for apple and pumpkin picking:
( *Remember to call ahead to confirm which crops are still available and pick-your-own times )
Wilkens Fruit & Fir Farm – 1335 White Hill Rd., Yorktown Heights NY (914) 245-5111
(Distance: in Westchester County, directions)
Pick your own from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. between August through mid-December. Markets are open between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and offer fresh cider and pies, donuts and gift items.
- Peaches – from Aug. 15 through last week in August
- Apples – season starts Sept. 12 to second or third week of October
- Pumpkins – everyday in October from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Christmas Trees – last week in November to second week in December
Fishkill Farms – 9 Fishkill Farm Rd., Hopewell Junction NY (845) 897-4377
(Distance: about 50 min. from Westchester, directions)
This eco-friendly farm hosts weddings and events, and offers a farm store and bakery, a community sustainable agricultural program or a pick your own option and harvest festival weekends in the fall. The farm store is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 7 days a week and closed on major holidays.
Pick your own:
- Strawberries – June
- Cherries, berries – July
- Peaches, nectarines – late July and August
- Apples – September through October
- Pumpkins – September and October
Barton’s Orchard – 63 Apple Tree Ln, Poughquag NY (845) 227-2306
- (Distance: About an hour from Westchester, directions)
This farm is open from July through November and has tons of activities for you and your family, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. They’ve got corn mazes, live music, duck races, gem mining, a full bakery, hot and cold foods, a playground and farm animals.
- Peaches – August to early September
- Vegetables- August to September (tomatoes, eggplants, green beans, peppers)
- Apples – August through October
- Grapes – August
- Pumpkins, Gourds – September and October
Apple Ridge Orchards – 101 Jessup Rd., Warwick (845) 987-7717
- (Distance: about 1 hour, directions)
Apple Ridge Orchards touts itself as the most scenic pick-your-own orchard. This orchard features a farm stand, honey bee observation hives, hay rides and farm animals.The corn maze is scheduled to open in 2015. Apple Ridge Orchards is open on Saturday, Sunday and all holidays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. from September to November
Pick your own:
Lawrence Farm Orchards – 306 Frozen Ridge Rd., Newburgh, NY (845) 562-4268
(Distance: a little over an hour from Westchester, directions)
This is a full fruit and vegetable farm that also houses farm animals, a hay bale maze, horse drawn carriages, and a spot for doughtnuts and ice cream. Lawrence Farm Orchards is open seven days a week from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. from Memorial Day through October.
- Strawberries – June
- Vegetables – June through
- Cherries – late June and July
- Apricots, Peaches – late July through August
- Plums – mid to late July to September
- Currants -mid to late July
- Gooseberries -mid to late July
- Grapes – late August through October
- Pears – through September
- Raspberries – September
- Apple – late August through October
- Pumpkins, gourds – late September through October